EYC Racing Fleet Home Page
The Erie Yacht Club has a long history of yacht racing as evidenced by the many trophies in our display case. One of the most prestigious is the Annette Cup that was established in 1907 shortly after the formation and incorporation of the EYC. Previously, yacht racing on Lake Erie had spawned the formation of the Inter Lake Yachting Association in 1885. The annual regatta competition and camaraderie brought on by ILYA racing provided one of the many reasons for forming a yacht club in Erie. Since its inception in 1895, Erie Yacht Club racers have competed at the ILYA’s annual regatta at Put-in Bay, Ohio as well as others throughout the U.S. and Canada. The Erie Yacht Club hosted the ILYA Regatta in 1920 which was so overwhelmingly successful, the ILYA awarded the Erie Yacht Club a German made chiming ship's bell clock currently displayed in our lounge in appreciation of the EYC's hospitality. Racing continues today with a strong organization and large fleet.
Locally, the fleet has raced under various handicap systems and numerous one design classes over it’s one hundred plus year history. The current organization was formed in the spring of 1992 with a single racing authority using the PHRF-Lake Erie handicap system under the EYCRF banner. The fleet is currently comprised of three divisions; Spinnaker, Family JAM and Jib & Main. The fleet has been skillfully helmed by the volunteer chairmen listed here and their numerous committees since its inception. We owe the positive evolution and success of our fleet to these hardworking leaders. Welcome to the Erie Yacht Club Racing Fleet!
Notice to Competitors
#1 5/4/2020 By now, I am confident many of you have read through the FAQ regarding Club Operations under the Covid-19 Restrictions. Based on the limitations we are currently operating under, our season will not start on May 6th as originally scheduled. As noted, we are actively monitoring the situation, and will keep you apprised of any and all development as they relate to the EYCRF. I think you will agree, the safety and well being of our membership is, and should remain our first concern.
Aaron Ackerman, Chair EYCRF
- FEB 25 TUE Social Meeting 7:00PM. Welcome with Presentation of Richard Eisenberg, Executive Director of the Bayfront Maritime Center. Mr. Eisenberg was the 2007 recipient of the EYC’s prestigious Thompson Award for outstanding service or achievement in the world of yachts and yachtsmen. Rich spoke about all the great things that the BMC is working on from the progress of the Porcupine to the various maritime programs that they offer to the community.
- MAR 31 TUE Canceled Social meeting 7:00PM Guest speaker: P/C Gib Loesel
- APR 4 SAT Canceled North-U Tactics seminar at Rickloff Community Boathouse
- APR 28 TUE Canceled Social meeting 7:00PM Guest speaker: Judge John Garhart
- MAY 6 WED Canceled 7:00pm -First Race
- JUL 10 FRI EYC Foundation Raw Bar Fund Raiser @ Rickloff Community Boathouse
- AUG 9 SAT Koehler Cup - Ashtabula YC Steak Dinner/Corn roast 6:00 pm
- AUG 29 SAT EYCRF Chairman's Picnic @ Rickloff Community Boathouse
- SEP 5 SAT 5th Annual EYCF Wooden Boat Race
- SEP 12, 13 Weekend race to Port Dover for the Wolford Trophy
- NOV 7 SAT 2020 Awards Banquet
Past Racing Fleet Chairs
2003-04 P/C Tom Trost