EYC Racing Fleet Home Page
The Erie Yacht Club has a long history of yacht racing as evidenced by the many trophies in our display case. One of the most prestigious is the Annette Cup that was established in 1907 shortly after the formation and incorporation of the EYC. Previously, yacht racing on Lake Erie had spawned the formation of the Inter Lake Yachting Association in 1885. The annual regatta competition and camaraderie brought on by ILYA racing provided one of the many reasons for forming a yacht club in Erie. Since its inception in 1895, Erie Yacht Club racers have competed at the ILYA’s annual regatta at Put-in Bay, Ohio as well as others throughout the U.S. and Canada. The Erie Yacht Club hosted the ILYA Regatta in 1920 which was so overwhelmingly successful, the ILYA awarded the Erie Yacht Club a German made chiming ship's bell clock currently displayed in our lounge in appreciation of the EYC's hospitality. Racing continues today with a strong organization and large fleet.
Locally, the fleet has raced under various handicap systems and numerous one design classes over it’s one hundred plus year history. The current organization was formed in the spring of 1992 with a single racing authority using the PHRF-Lake Erie handicap system under the EYCRF banner. The fleet is currently comprised of three divisions; Spinnaker, Family JAM and Jib & Main. The fleet has been skillfully helmed by the volunteer chairmen listed here and their numerous committees since its inception. We owe the positive evolution and success of our fleet to these hardworking leaders. Welcome to the Erie Yacht Club Racing Fleet !
NOTICE TO COMPETITORS
NOTICE TO COMPETITORS #2-17
Note the change in the finish as published 2017 race instructions. The finish for long distance lake races when the RC is not present at the finish is within one boat length of R2 leaving R2 to PORT i.e. finish between the channel lighthouse and R2. This change is made to establish consistency among the Memorial Day Lighthouse race and races returning from Ashtabula and Port Dover.
NOTICE TO COMPETITORS #1-17
Memorial Day Lighthouse Race.
The approximate location of the Near Shore Weather Buoy for 2017 is:
Lat: N 42’ 11.092 Lon: W 080’ 08.218
The 2017 race distance is 12.30 nm.
If the Flag Ship/Race Committee is not on station at the finish. Finish line is between R2 and the channel lighthouse. To be Scored, submit the attached Finish Form fully completed as required in the SI’s within 2 hrs of your finish time. Results can not be calculated and published to the fleet until all finish forms have been received. Do not delay the scoring process for the fleet.
- FEB 21 TUE Social Meeting 7:00PM Welcome with Presentation of 2017 schedule, Introduction to Kenny Read Program
- MAR 21 TUE Social meeting 7:00PM Flagship Niagara League - Update and plans for Flagship Niagara
- APR 23 SUN PHRF-LE Board meeting @ EYC. NO General membership meeting as we have in the past.
- APR 27 THU KEN READ An evening with World Class Sailor and President of North Sails Group
- "SAILING ON THE EDGE" INFORMATION HERE RESERVATION FORM HERE
- MAY 2 TUE Social meeting 7:00PM New Racing Rules of Sailing 2017-2020 Q&A session Alex Miller, Russ Thompson
- MAY 10 WED 7:00pm Start of First Race
- JUN 30 FRI EYC Foundation Raw Bar Fund Raiser @ Rickloff Community Boathouse
- JUL 22 SAT 6PM race and Free BBQ party/awards post race on the EYC west deck and lawn.
- AUG 12 SAT Koehler Cup - Ashtabula YC Steak Dinner/Corn roast 6:00 pm
- AUG 26 SAT 5:00pm EYCRF Chairman's Picnic @ EYC Lighthouse
- SEP 9 SAT 3rd Annual EYCF Wooden Boat Race
- NOV 4 SAT 2017 Awards Banquet
Past Racing Fleet Chairs